Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Compare and contrast essays are some of the most interesting assignments and students (well, some) enjoy writing them. This is because unlike most kinds of essays, it is hardly possible to get writer's block when you are handling these. You are given the freedom to not only pick compare and contrast topics on your own, but you have the freedom to choose the side of your support as well as how to contrast it.
However, the fact that you are given all this freedom does not mean that this is the simplest essay to write. The biggest challenge is usually in picking the best topic for you and this can be quite a huge issue if you are not careful in what you are doing. Let's see compare and contrast essay topics ideas as well as brief strategies you can use in your writing.
Tips On How To Write Superb Compare And Contrast Essays
The first thing that you need to do before you start writing is to choose an appropriate topic to write about. This should essentially be a topic of interest to you or something that you can discuss in length without any problem whatsoever. Lucky for you, there are so many topics you could focus on when writing and it is all up to you to determine the exact topic that you want to build on.
In most cases, the topics you choose should be closely related. For example if you chose to go with sports, choose two contrasting topics that are in the same category such as soccer vs basketball. You should steer clear of choosing topics that do not have any kind of relationship whatsoever such as pasta vs winter. This will be difficult to compare as they do not have any similarities and are basically worlds apart.
However, there is an exception of really good art students who can pull off contrasting two things that are completely different or discussing certain topics from an artistic point of view. For example one may choose a topic such as, life in the shoes of a werewolf. You see that it is an unusual topic that may be quite difficult to imagine or explain, but some students may just turn that topic into a masterpiece.
Students are encouraged that when choosing a topic, you think outside the box as this will most likely earn you better grades. Students who excel in writing about such complex topic may have a chance to be enrolled into some of the best Art universities to develop their skills and talent.
How To Choose Your Sources
Just because you are given total freedom about what you are going to write, does not mean that you should write casually without giving any proof. Remember that a compare and contrast essay is an academic essay so the language and formatting should all be formal.
Referencing and giving citations in your work is one of the best ways of proving your points, hence explaining why you chose a particular stand. The sources that you choose should be up to date and not more than 5 years old unless you are discussing a historical topic. Always check for the credibility of your sources before using them in your essay so as not to give false information. Some of the best sources of information include:
- Official textbooks and encyclopedias.
- Published journals.
- Official magazines.
- Academic and research reports.
Steps To Writing A Compare And Contrast Essay
As you may know, a compare and contrast essay is not really written like other common kinds of essays. There are certain aspects about it that make it so different from all these other essays and you need to be aware of that before you start writing.
The first thing you need to do is identify the type of compare and contrast essay that you are handling. There are basically four types:
- Events. These essays focus on the comparison of different historical events in life or in books.
- Different situations. They examine the differences of certain cases that you may have found yourself in or even others.
- Characters. Focused on people or characters in books, what they did and the impact.
- Locations. Discusses different places and locations in the world.
As much as compare and contrast essays are written a bit differently from other types of essays, there are certain aspects about them that are similar to the writing format of other essays.
- Introduction. Just like in any other essay, a good compare and contrast essay has to have an introduction that is catchy and functional. Here, you need to explain what your topic is all about and what you hope to achieve at the end of the discussion. It should also have a thesis statement that will give a little more information about the subject matter and why you have chosen to discuss it.
- Your argument. The next step is to start writing about your stand point, while giving proof of why you think that the way you are looking at it is the best. Use references, quotations and citations to develop your argument into something readable and easy to understand.
- Opposing arguments. You need to do thorough research about the opposing arguments that your rival would use to counter your points. You should discuss at least two points here and refute these points standing with your own.
- Concluding statement. Here, you can choose to rephrase your thesis statement and supporting that your point of view is the best. Conclude with a powerful statement that will impact on the reader.
Writing Tips To Make Your Essay Stand Out
Any good essay has to stand out and encourage the reader to continue reading from the beginning to the end, no matter the type of essay it is. This is why you need to ensure that you make your compare and contrast essay as interesting and accurate as possible using these tips.
- Check other essays for inspiration. Starting your own essay from scratch can be a bit confusing for most students. This is why you need to take some time and check out other written essays in the same category as the one you are writing for the best ways to start, develop your argument and finally conclude. See how to incorporate quotes, sayings and humor into your compare and contrast essay. Also check on creative ways to use our references to add some backbone to your argument.
- Think critically. This is necessary when you are trying to find a suitable topic to write about since there are so many to choose from. Brainstorm and write down a list of your best topics listing down the differences and similarities to see which work well together and have a lot of points that you can discuss.
- Seek professional assistance. Identifying great education services can help you get your hands on really useful sources on your chosen topics. This will help you build a strong argument and to be able to back what you are discussing. You can write literature review where you reveal your sources and how they helped in your discussion. It is a really great way of increasing your word count without unnecessary fluff.
- Proper formatting and in text citations. As earlier mentioned, a compare and contrast essay is an academic paper so the correct formatting needs to be used according to what you were instructed to do. In text citations give evidence of your discussion and why you chose the argument that you did.
So now you know how to choose the best compare and contrast topics and the different segments that you need to address when writing. You also understand how to find sources and the best kind to use in your paper to make it relevant and interesting. however, you may still have a problem identifying the best topics for you to discuss, which is why we have highlighted different topics that you can use in your compare and contrast essay.
Best Compare And Contrast Topics For University Students
- Sciences vs Arts: which are the most viable in the job market?
- Essays vs research papers: what is the difference:
- Home schooling: what are the benefits and disadvantages?
- College education: should it be free? What is to be gained if that step was taken?
- College degrees: how relevant are they in today’s job market?
- Education: is it necessary to become successful in life?
- Exams: are they a true reflection of a student’s ability?
- Boarding schools vs day schools: what are the major differences?
- Hostels vs renting: what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Political And Historical Topics
- Karl Marx vs Friedrich Hegel: who made the most impact?
- The bible vs the Quran: what are the differences in teachings
- The 60s vs the 90s music: which was better?
- Capitalism vs communism: which is superior?
- Dictatorship and democratic: how are they different?
- Al Qaeda vs Boko Haram: are they the same?
- African government vs western governments: what are the differences in governance?
- Greek gods: real or not?
- Us president vs Monarch of England: what are the differences in power?
Compare And Contrast Topics For Starters
- Tomatoes: are they fruits or vegetables?
- Netball vs basketball: are the rules different or the same?
- Samsung vs apple: which is the better brand?
- Being miserable in a mansion or happy in a shanty: which is better?
- Differences between the American and the British.
- Aliens: real or not?
- Marijuana: is it dangerous or a blessing in disguise?
- Winter vs summer: which is better?
- Dinner date vs movie and drinks.
Battle Of The Opposites Essay Topics
- White vs black.
- Alibaba vs amazon.
- Religious marriage vs civil marriage.
- Dogs vs cats.
- Happiness vs sadness.
- Pizza vs pasta.
- WW1 vs WW2.
- Good girl vs bad boy.
- Electric vs gas cars.
Teenage Compare And Contrast Essays
- Watching at home vs going out to a movie.
- When should one be allowed to date?
- Reading vs watching? Which is easier
- Arts vs Science
- Hip hop vs RnB
- White collar vs blue collar
- Android vs IOS
- Casual vs casual official? What is more appropriate?
- Snapchat vs Instagram: which is better?
IT And Social Media Essay Topics
- Does paper mailing have a space in future?
- Desktop computers vs tablets
- Facebook vs Twitter: which is better?
- Online jobs vs traditional jobs?
- SEO vs traditional marketing? Which yield more results?
- Blogs vs websites.
- Traditional learning vs E-learning: what does the future hold?
- Windows vs IOS.
- Radio vs newspapers.
Movie and Music Comparison Ideas
- Rock vs country.
- Batman vs superman: who is the true hero of the world?
- DC vs Marvel?
- Comedy vs Horror
- Dumbledore vs Voldemort
- Vampires vs werewolves: who are stronger?
- 3D vs normal screening? Differences and similarities?
- Avengers vs fantastic four
- Michael Jackson vs Prince: who is the true kind of pop music?
Compare And Contrast Literature Topics
- Fiction vs nonfiction: which has a larger readership?
- Romance vs horror.
- Past vs present works of literature: which is better?
- Hardcopy vs E- books
- Romeo and Juliet: takeaway lessons
- Is Shakespeare the greatest poet who ever lived?
- Poetry vs hip hop: are there any similarities?
- Greek vs Egyptian mythology
- Is harry potter the best magical fantasy book ever written?
Scientific Topic Ideas
- Uranus vs Saturn: are there any similarities?
- The sun vs the moon
- Chemistry vs biology
- Nuclear vs fossil energy
- Disputable scientific statements
- Science and technology: are they interdependent?
- Is there life on other planets
- Can theories in physics be used to explain all aspects of life?
- Hurricanes vs tornados
Everyday Compare And Contrast Topics
- Coffee vs tea
- Wood vs bricks: which is better to build with
- The west vs the east: similarities
- Catholics vs protestants
- African countries vs European countries
- Flying vs driving: which one is better?
- McDonalds vs KFC
- Cartoon network vs Nickelodeon
- American English vs British English
Philosophy Topic Ideas
- Music vs poetry: do they have the same effect on people
- Philosophers vs historians: are they similar?
- Which is more important food or health care?
- Are humans wilder than wild animals?
- Should there be justification for evil deeds?
- Friends vs enemies: who should you be weary of?
- Good vs evil: where is the line drawn?
- Simplest explanation vs complex explanation: which is best?
- Similarities between philosophy and religion.
- The pen is mightier than the sword: how true is this?
The above mentioned compare and contrast essay topics are just a few of the many topics you can choose to discuss in your essay. If you are still having problems making a decision, then you can always ask for assistance from our professional essay writers who will help you find the best topic. You can also order a fully written compare and contrast essay and ease the amount of work you have to do.