Synthesis essays are to be written with a meticulous approach. You should employ a considerable amount of sources. You are expected to pass judgment as to how important the topic is and give your answer to the question stated by revealing adequate familiarity with the relevant sources.
- Finding touchpoints between different standpoints
When finding the similarities between different standpoints, you shouldn’t fall into vagueness, but rather stay as clear as possible. Check out compare and contrast essay tips
to understand this idea better. Your end result should be an organic synthesis, and not just some quotations thrown together - the elements should correlate. Only this way can your synthesis essay be treated seriously.
You need to work out the main statement of your essay with a good introduction
: the essence of your work concentrated into one definitive sentence. It may come in the form of a question that provokes the reader’s thought at the beginning and leads it in the direction that you set in the course of your essay up to the conclusion that you draw.
Before you can put together the list of sources for your synthesis essay, make sure that you are well aware of the topic in order you can write 500 word essays
. So, it only makes sense to pick a topic that you are already well-informed about and that you have a particular interest in.
A strong synthesis essay
is supposed to include powerful yet original parallels. This will not only place your conclusions on a more solid ground but also spark additional interest among your readership. A healthy dose of wit is more than welcome here!
Just as any other written piece of work, a synthesis essay is to be thoroughly proofread and edited before you submit it. Aside from correcting the spelling and grammatical errors, pay special attention to the content and make sure there is no ambiguity or conflict, especially if you pick a sensitive and somewhat controversial, i.e., truly interesting topic.
Such a topic is not always easy to come up with, so we have put together a list of some ideas:
- How did the 2nd World War affect Germany in comparison with other nations?
- What signs of patriarchy are left behind and which persist?
- What are the approaches to dealing with global warming in different nations?
- How effective is secondary education today?
- Does sex education at schools raise awareness as good as it should?
- How effective and convenient are passenger airlines today?
- What makes the idea of community market so appealing?
- How the new forms of correspondence (texting and chatting) affect overall literacy?
- How do social media change the everyday life of a student?
- How does the chaotic deforestation in some countries affect the global agriculture?
- Is ecology taken into account when developing new housing areas?
- How can we try to rationalize the mind of a religious fanatic?
- How do former colonial empires sustain their cultural influence over former colonies?
- What do professional sports have in common with being fit?
- How does China execute cultural and economic expansion today?
- Why does homosexuality occur among different representations of the fauna?
- What is the difference between child disorders caused by clinical and social reasons?
- Is there a difference between racism against US-born and non-US-born people?
- Why are some children reluctant to read books?
- What factors influence fashion?
- Can zero tolerance be justified?
- Is war always a bad thing?
- Is global warming caused by human activities?
- Do video games really make the players more violent?
- How volunteering changes the world?
- How essential is violent imagery to various forms of art?
- How effective is the scholarship system?
- Are the school uniforms necessary or rudimentary?
- Is the American dream still alive?
- Should the technological progress be better controlled and how?
- Can saving money penny by penny really make you richer?
- Is death penalty barbaric or necessary?
- How has the role of television in our lives changed in the past few decades?
- What is terrorism, what causes it, and how it can be prevented?
- Should the new technologies be implemented in school faster?
- What makes Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby a good read today?
- Are Miller’s ideas from The Crucible still up to date?
- Is the enthusiasm of space exploration programs justified?
- Should social media be better controlled and how?
- Why were school uniforms introduced and why they lost popularity in the education system?
- Is community service an effective solution?
- Is daylight savings time still justified?
- What is the role of invasive species?
- How effective and how justified is racial profiling?
- What are the origins of races?
- Why does racism still occur?
- Can poverty be defeated once and for all?
- How have the Presidential elections changed in the past 50 years?
- Why is poetry still important?
- How has photography become an art?
- Does racial profiling still happen?
- Have the cellphones made our lives better or worse?
- Why is obesity becoming an increasing problem?
- Has Lord of the Flies come true?
- Why does childhood obesity happen in such amounts?
- How do we fall for advertising?
- How does nature adapt to the technogenetic environment?
- Which parts of human nature are inborn and which are conditioned socially?
- Is mandatory community service effective?
- Why do museums still exist?
- How has the social role of shopping malls evolved in the last 50 years?
- Are celebrity memoirs a worthy read?
- How has the infrastructure of the media changed with the introduction of smartphones?
- Is multiculturalism a utopic idea or is it possible?
- Why are superstitions still so widespread?
- Do social media make it easier to socialize or do they create extra obstacles?
- Why have locavores become a thing?
- Does ideal love happen in our world?
- What makes up a good read?
- What are the main reasons for immigration today? Do they validate it?
- How to describe the identity of a person?
- Are new technologies implemented at schools on a sufficient level?
- Is there too much violent imagery in the media today?
- How important is the image of a body today?
- Is Huckleberry Finn still a character to look up to?
- Why does individual nature show under extreme circumstances?
- Is homeschooling a good idea?
- Does global warming get enough coverage in the media?
- Is gun control sufficient?
- Is the legalization of gay marriage the next logical step in the evolution of the society?
- What is the role of gender today?
- Should genetic engineering be enforced with more enthusiasm?
- What are the circumstances influencing the gender roles?
- What are the long-term effects of globalization?
- Does Frankenstein remain a good read due to the expressed ideas or due to Mary Shelley’s good writing?
- What changes are urgent for the education system?
- Is euthanasia a murder or an act of mercy?
- How misguiding can an advertisement be?
- Is environment really at such peril as the media want us to think?
- Why does eminent domain exist and should it still exist?
- Is space exploration vital to the survival of mankind?
- Why is divorce harder than a marriage?
- Is the enforcement of legal drinking age effective?
- How to spot depression and how to confront it?
Any of the above topics should be quite easy to write about. At the same time, you'll have a chance to back your point with actual stats and research. So, good luck! If you need to know how to write an abstract apa for your essay, you can discover our blog.