Employers in search of bookkeepers usually look for focus, a detail-oriented nature, and excellent mathematical and proofreading skills. This role doesn’t always require a formal education, but it does demand strong potential in these areas and a track record of relevant experience. As you draft your resume, focus on every word and every line and edit your document multiple times to make sure it’s error-free. Create distinct subheadings for your summary, a list of your core competencies, and a brief description of your relevant previous jobs. Don’t leave out any software proficiencies or past accomplishments that might help you shine. Use this bookkeeper resume example as you move forward.
A bookkeeper keeps track of business transactions including purchases, sales and receipts. Bookkeepers play an essential role in any number of businesses and organizations. The resume examples we’ve included below are specific to bookkeeper roles. They’ve been designed as a guide to help you craft a winning resume of your own. Choose from multiple design templates, and customize your resume to fit your needs. Click on any of the resume examples below to get started!
Resume Tips for Bookkeeper
If you are looking for jobs as a bookkeeper or in any other area of expertise, your success will depend on your willingness to take the right actions. By understanding what employers are looking for, you can greatly simplify your job hunt. Here are some simple, yet effective tips for finding jobs as a bookkeeper.
1. Many jobseekers forget to utilize their own personal network. Your friends, family members, and neighbors can oftentimes alert you to job opportunities at their workplaces. You may also want to ask former clients for information about potential openings.
2. By taking responsibility for your job search, you can avoid the feeling of hopelessness and helplessness that many people experience after losing a job. You are the only one in control of your search and the pace at which you look for work.
3. After becoming unemployed, many workers find themselves contemplating self-employment. This can be scary at first, but if you have marketable skills and ambition, you may want to consider working for yourself.
4. The interview is one of the most important parts of the job hunt, so it is only fitting that you prepare for yours. Practice responding to commonly asked interview questions.
5. During periods of unemployment, workers are usually faced with a great deal of spare time. Use this time to research job opportunities or develop new skills.
Bookkeeper Job Seeking Tips
Regardless of what part of the country you live in, or the industry you work in, having a stellar resume can make a huge difference in your search for jobs as a bookkeeper. If you are looking for work, you may want to consider utilizing the following resume tips and techniques.
1. When you create your resume from scratch, you will increase your chances of standing out. A custom resume shows that you possess creativity and originality.
2. You should always look over your resume before you submit it. This will prevent you from overlooking any spelling errors. No one wants to hire an employee who can’t follow basic rules of grammar.
3. Please avoid dishonesty at all costs. It can be tempting to embellish on your resume, but it can also cost you the job. This is especially important since the majority of employers will perform a background check on you anyway.
4. Consider adding a career summary instead of an objective. The summary will give hiring mangers a comprehensive overview of your professional background and abilities. An objective will simply give them information that they already know.
5. If you have any type of postsecondary education, there is no need to include information about your high-school. Most employers understand that if you have a college degree, you more than likely have a diploma.