When you sum up a paper, avoid paraphrasing the argument as well as the primary substantiating ideas used by the original writer.
Rather than rewriting this, you ought to include 1 or 2 comprehensive, particular phrases to convey the primary argument as well as the writer’s convictions and/or ideas.
Keep in mind: Your readers must be aware of the original piece of writing that you’re summing up! As such, you must not avoid mentioning the writer’s name as well as the title of the paper in the introduction.
Fast Hint: Once you’ve done your summary essay, scan it for areas in which you could reduce the number of words. You could begin by removing modifiers. For instance, eliminate words like “actually," “highly” or “exceedingly." In addition to that, it may also be a good idea to remove full phrases that sum up the more inconclusive aspects of the original paper instead of the primary arguments.
Write using your own words
The assignment of devising a summary essay does not imply that you can reorganize the wording in a paper written by another author and present it as your own piece of writing. In addition to that, this task also doesn’t imply that you can just take the sentences and organizational elements of other writers and use them as your own.
Instead, drafting a summary essay involves using your own wording and manner of writing with the purpose of detecting the primary arguments of the original piece of writing.
Take a look at the following examples:
- Let’s say the following sentence is used in the original piece of writing: “he adopted a resolution." In that case, you could simply paraphrase this sentence using your own words by writing “he chose."
- If the original writer uses a structure such as “intrusive legal guardians," you could paraphrase it using words that are less formal, like “snoopy parents."
Fast Hint: As you are summing up the original paper, stop looking at the text. By keeping your eyes off the original material while writing down your ideas, you’ll find it easier to use your own wording and manner of writing.
Steer clear of personal opinions
Even if you find yourself in full disagreement with the arguments conveyed by the writer of the source, you must not introduce your personal thoughts in a summary essay! This type of academic writing needs to be entirely impartial and unbiased. As such, you must never include your personal opinions!
Your target is to convey the writer’s primary arguments, not those of your own.
Here is an example of a summary essay introduction that introduces a personal thought:
- The paper highlights the high level of advertising that can be found in educational institutions from all over America. The author is very good at underlining the idea that educational institutions ought to prohibit advertising. Furthermore, one can easily understand the reasons for which parents ought to stop large companies from exerting an influence on high school students.
- The sentence “is very good at” constitutes a way of saying that you agree with the writer’s ideas and that you find them efficient. The sentence “one can easily understand” also hints at the fact that you support the writer’s argument.
- Keep in mind: One must never include personal thoughts, as well as value judgments, in a summary essay!
Take a look at the following revised version of the example. Observe the way in which it maintains objectivity:
- The topic of this article is the high level of advertising that takes place in educational institutions from all over the US. The writer advocates that educational institutions ought to prohibit advertising. Furthermore, he claims that parents ought to stop the big companies from exerting their influence on their children.
How to merge the pieces together
At this point, you have to be aware of what you need to do if you want to write a winning summary essay. Once you’ve managed to produce your arguments, the next logical step is to start writing the essay itself. However, there is also one last thing you need to do before you proceed.
You must still form connections between your arguments. To accomplish this, you should use transitions. Unless you use transitions, your paper will appear as an inventory of casual assertions instead of a coherent summary essay.
Last but not least, make sure you revise your essay. Never hand in your assignment without checking it for errors!
In case you have already written your essay, but you’re worried you won’t get a good grade, you can always ask for our help! Our professional editors will be ready to assist you!