5. Pregnancy As A Result Of Incest or Rape Can Cause Psychological Damage
Forcing a pregnancy causes stress and other mental risks to the woman. In most cases, the woman feels too afraid to even speak or does not even know that she’s pregnant. Hence, taking the morning after pill fails to work in such situations, making the woman turn to abortion.
6. Women’s Arguments and Rights Which Favor Abortion
Below are some of the women’s rights which support abortion:
- Women have the right to choose what they wish to do with their lives and bodies.
- The abortion right is crucial for gender equality.
- Abortion is essential if women are to enjoy their complete potential.
- Banning abortion forces women to result to illegal means.
Such arguments remind us that even in the debate of abortion, we should still consider women as people and not just a simple fetus carrier. Therefore, we should consider all their needs and rights. Besides, it also affects them more than it does men. It disrupts the movements in her body, education and chances of employment as well as her whole family life.
7. Bodily Rights Which Support Abortion
Many people look at the right to control one’s body as an important moral right. If we keep denying women the right to abort an unwanted fetus, we are just infringing on their rights. Other arguments here include:
- As a woman, you have the right to choose what you want to do with your body.
- The fetus grows inside the woman’s body.
- The woman should decide if she wants to keep the fetus.
Such issues make some people feel that it’s unethical to abolish abortions as it commands the woman to take care of an unwanted child. Despite this, counter-arguments show that a fetus is not just like any other part of the body like the liver or kidney. Hence, it should be banned since it denies the child the right to live.
8. Childbearing, Equality and Freedom
Groups like the women’s liberation movement view abortion as a vital right when it comes to gender equality. They feel that if a lady is not allowed to abort, she’s just being forced into the pregnancy. Apart from that, she’s expected to look after the child for several years to come.
They go on to add that if only women had the chance to choose if they want to have a child then they’ll become equal to men. Furthermore, they feel that the freedoms of a woman are limited once she starts bearing children. It also comes with a lot of social customs, stereotypes and somewhat oppressive duties.
Lastly, they view lady’s ability to control what happens in her as crucial to preserving certain civil rights. Once you take away such a reproductive choice, you open the doors to other health regulations. For instance, if the law can make a woman to proceed with an unwanted pregnancy, it can also force her to go through sterilization or use contraception.
In the past, abortion was criticized because of the medical complications that came with it. However, with the growth in technology and new methods of surgery as well as medical treatments, it’s now a safe process. Although it still raises different questions about its morality, it carries positive results, too, such as:
- Women need abortion to become fully political, economic, and socially equal with men.
- Also through abortion, women gain full control over their own bodies. They can, therefore, make the decision of whether they want to carry the developing fetus or not!