How to Write a Personal Experience Essay – Sample Papers Included
What Does this Article Include?
- What you should focus on to get a good grade.
- How to reveal the true meaning of a memory.
- What to do to pick a great topic.
- Best organizing strategies for excellent essays.
Personal Essay Includes:
- Sharing a story from your past in an authentic way.
- Explaining the importance of that particular story.
How to Write a Great Essay?
Do you want to get a good grade on your personal experience essay? Testing agencies and instructors encounter a lot of essays like these, so you should invest your time to write an excellent one and to get a high score.
There are lots of assignments about personal experiences you can easily access. They are given so frequently because anyone should be able to write an essay about their personal experiences on a particular topic. It does not require too many resources, research or additional information, and people can write winning essays relating to events of crucial importance in their personal life with ease. Experienced people can promptly notice the differences between telling a simple story about yourself and writing an excellent essay based on your personal experiences. The following things will make you understand what the difference between a good and an excellent essay is:
- Great essays outline a clear image of the experience, and the readers can almost feel they are part of the story.
- Top essays create a particular interpretation of the experience, explaining it with clarity.
- Last, but not least, the best essays are well-organized.
In this article, we shall provide all the information you need to write an excellent personal experience essay!
Write About a Conflict
How to Define the Importance of a Memory
When you're writing an essay about your personal experiences or relationships, you’re doing more than simple paperwork. First of all, you're discovering what certain things from your past mean, but you're also sharing your old experiences with other people. Writing about past experiences will make you see the events from two different points of view: you'll see the events relating to the present time and then you'll see the events relating to the perspective you had at the time of the event. The period of time that has passed between these two perspectives will make you understand the importance of the event or the relationship.
- Your current perspective
- Your perspective at the time of the event or relationship
The time that has passed from the event until the present time is very significant for you. It helps you understand the significance of the memory, and it can change your future actions depending on what you have learned from that particular event.
Pick a great topic
Depending on how recent the event is, you will see things differently. If the event or the relationship happened recently, you have fresh memories of that specific experience. When we're talking about an event that happened a long time ago, you will think about that experience, you will analyze it, and you will try to remember the most meaningful details. Most of the people reflect on their reactions and try to remember exactly what that specific event meant for them at that time. In most of the cases, when you’re sharing past experiences you have to make a decision: to share your current perspective or to share the things as you saw them in the past.
“At the end of 8th grade, [my best friend said] she never wanted to be my friend again. I was devastated and terribly depressed all summer... Forty years later, I realize... that made me finally reach out to develop new friends. [They] encouraged me to develop my life-long interest in speech, theater, and writing. That experience of rejection gave me a lifelong compassion for others.” – Virginia Lynne.
Topic Ideas for your Personal Experience Essay
When you’re trying to choose a personal event from your past for an essay you’re usually trying to pick the best topic. Probably any significant experience from your life can make for a good topic for an essay. More than that, you should not think just about a single event because you can also pick a recurring event, a place that is important to you, a person that made you change your behavior and thinking or somebody who played a significant role in your life. An excellent way to find relevant and engaging topics for your personal experience essay is to brainstorm and consider the following things:
- Think about the people who have had a significant influence on your life: the relationship with your parents, siblings, grandparents or even a good friend.
- A single experience with a person who changed the way you think in general or about something particular.
- A small but notable event.
- A specific routine that was important to you at a particular moment in your life.
- A place that is meaningful to you because of the memories you have there or because of the things you experienced at that place.
How to Decide if Your Topic is Good Enough
Decide what the meaning of an event or person was for you, and it will help you to determine whether or not the topic that you are thinking to pick is a good one for an essay. The next five questions will help you decide whether the topic you’re thinking about is a good option or not. Try to write down the answers and make sure you include as many details as possible. It will definitely help you pick a great topic. Here are the questions: